From mid July through Late August, witness the amazing site of millions of salmon returning to spawn.
DIPAC is one of the few accessible salmon hatcheries in the state for visitors to see. Located just 3 miles from the downtown area, it is an easy stop on your way too or from the Mendenhall Glacier and whale watching excursions out the road.
DIPAC's Macaulay Salmon hatchery houses over 150 local marine species in our various aquariums. Our 5,000 gallon tank, seen here, is a great way to see eye to eye with some of Alaska's large undersea critters.
From mid July to Mid August, the chum (keta or dog) salmon are returning to the hatchery in full force. This sight is something you do not want to miss on your trip to Juneau!
Great photo opportunities abound inside and outside our facility. From our bronze bear statue at the entrance of the facility, to our glorious views of Gastineau Channel frequented by the wild American Bald Eagle, you'll be sure to go home with some keepers to show your friends and family.
During our summer operation, we offer guided commentaries every half hour. If you'd rather not wait for a presentation, feel free to use our excellent signage to educate yourself at your own pace.
Macaulay Salmon Hatchery: DIPAC
DIPAC's Macaulay Salmon Hatchery visitor’s center offers a unique variety of attractions and a truly Alaskan experience. Take in the view of our outdoor hatchery operations while learning about the fascinating salmon spawning process. Juneau’s visitors and locals alike will get the opportunity to:
- Get a birds-eye-view of hatchery operations and learn about the life cycle of pacific salmon during an informative commentary by an experienced local guide.
- Watch millions of baby king and coho salmon grow from the sky bridge in the rearing facility all year.
- Witness the masses of adult salmon fighting their way up the fish ladder late June – September.
- Explore our salt water aquariums displaying over 150 species of marine life.
- Interact with local sea critters in our tide pool touch tank area.
- Find fishy themed (and flavored) mementos in our gift shop.
- Wow your taste buds by sampling a variety of smoked salmon products.
- Ship Wild Alaska Salmon products home year round.
Hours of Operation:
(In correlation to the cruise ship schedule):
Monday - Friday 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Winter October 1st - April 30th
(By appointment only):
Please call: 907-463-4810 to set up an appointment
Standard Admissions (includes access into the visitors center and an optional 15 minute guided commentary):
Children (2-12 yrs.) $3.00
Extended Tour (mid June - August ONLY):
Children (under 12 yrs.) $10.00
Douglas Island Pink and Chum, DIPAC, is a private non-profit organization. Therefore, all proceeds from the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery Visitor’s Center benefit salmon enhancement and educational programs.
- Meeting Rooms: 1
- Family Friendly (12 and under welcome):
- Time to Centennial Hall Convention Center: 5
- Time to Juneau International Airport: 7
- Summer Hours: June - August 10AM-6PM on weekdays, 10AM-5PM on weekends (hours vary in May and September)
- Winter Hours: by appointment Monday through Friday
- Wheelchair Accessible:
- Accepts MasterCard:
- Accepts Visa:
- Accepts American Express:
- Minimum Age Limit: N/A
- Weight/Height Limits: N/A
- Private Tours Available:
Language Translation Available:
- Chinese (Mandarin)